Dr. Hottie's Reality Checkup

Welcome to my world. Expect very real opinions (laden with sarcastic and off color humor) about the great invention that is reality television. This blog may occasionally stray off topic, but its for the best really.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Dreamgirls - And Scandal!

Yes it's ladies night and the feeling's right. Oh what a night. Yes what a night it was. Its becoming more clear as the weeks go on who will be in the Top 12. Er. I should say.. who SHOULD be in the Top 12. We have learned in the past that it doesn't always work out that way. I'm forming in my head a picture of some of the godawful people who actually made Top 12. *shudders*

This year I think we're gonna have a good group unless VFTW messes it all up. DON'T DO IT. I beg of you.

ALAINA ALEXANDER - Okay. The first week she sang Brass In Pocket. I love that song, but not on her. I was kind of hoping someone would sing it and knock it out of the park. Looks like I won't get it this year. Then she comes back last night and sings friggin' Dixie Chicks. Not even old Dixie Chicks. 'Not Ready To Make Nice'. I'm not the biggest fan of that song to begin with so she really needed to do something special with it and she didn't. Alaina has a nice voice, but unfortunately she's a minor leaguer in this Idol ballpark.

ANTONELLA BARBA - I am sure she is VFTW's little pony right now. And to many men who have come across some, uh, pictures of her she is something else. I am sure Simon Cowell has seen said pictures and if they're going to get rid of Frenchie for this type of thing it should apply to hot white chicks too. In Week one Antonella sang 'I Dont Want To Miss A Thing'. The judges told her the song was too big for her. Okay. So she strolls in this week channeling Celine Dion. Or trying too. It was karaoke the first time and it was karaoke the second. Antonella is a beautiful, beautiful girl. She should stick to what she's better at and try out for Top Model.

GINA GLOCKSEN - You gotta root for Gina. She wants this so bad, as I'm sure the other girls do. I wasn't crazy about the song choice the first week though. 'All By Myself' is such a depressing song. This week she sang 'Alone'. Is she trying to say something here? Is there a theme? If she's back next week will she sing 'Im The Only One' by Melissa Ethridge? I was nervous about her singing 'Alone' specifically because Carrie Underwood knocked that one out of the park. Gina did a really good job on it I think. I think its just harder to live up to a previous Idol winner's performance than to say.. Whitney or Mariah. Honestly.

HALEY SCARNATO - Dude. You just don't attempt Celine and Whitney back to back weeks. You don't do it. Haley is hot. No doubt. Her performance thus far though have just left me lukewarm. If I was going to sing any Whitney Houston song it would not be 'Queen Of The Night'. I don't like Whitney's version so I'm certainly not going to like a Haley Scarnato version. I know what she was trying to do. A performance like that is certainly not going to have Simon calling you cabaret. But he can always call you other things. He's a thinker.

JORDIN SPARKS - I've always loved her voice but I didn't like her song choice the first week going with Tracy Chapman. It's not really a song that can showcase your voice. So this week she decided to sing 'Reflection' which Ayla Brown wowed me with last season. The only problem I have with Jordin is that I expect so much from her that her performances aren't as wow to me. If I could learn to watch her and expect nothing then maybe I'd be better off. I do love her though.

LAKISHA JONES - Girl can SANG. I mean, wow. In her first week she took on Jennifer Hudson's signature song from Dreamgirls and nailed it. This week she sang 'Midnight Train To Georgia' which Paris Bennett sang last year. She did a better job than Paris which is hard to say. This is a train that will keep rollin' all the way into the finals. I'm becoming convinced there's nothing she can't sing.

LESLIE HUNT - I really like Leslie's personality and she has a different kind of voice. I really didn't like her the first week. Poor song choice for her. When she went with a Nina Simone song this week I thought it was much smarter. She's still in trouble because she does not have one of the best voices, but she may scrape by this week.

MELINDA DOOLITTLE - I loves me some Melinda. She nailed Aretha the first week and then this week she sang 'My Funny Valentine' which I believe Constantine sang, but she was amazing. That's not a song I would normally sing because it could get boring if it's not done right, but Melinda did everything right. She's so adorable and talented and likeable. You can bet she'll be stickin' around.

SABRINA SLOAN - I was really suprised with Sabrina because I didn't really know her and didn't expect a whole lot. I think that's for the best in most cases really. She has a nice voice and stage presence. The very last note last night was kind of eh for me. But the long note before it made up for it. I am confident Sabrina will make Top 12.

STEPHANIE EDWARDS - Hey its Beyonce junior. I didn't really notice the vocal similarity until it was mentioned last night, but Stephanie really does sound a lot like Miss Knowles. Hey - another person who was in Dreamgirls. Next week Chris Sligh is gonna come out soundin' like Eddie Murphy. If Stephanie can stick around until next week and have another solid performance I think she's secured a spot in the Top 12 also.

AMY KREBS - Eh. Not a bad voice but didn't stand out.

NICOLE TRANQUILLO - Again. Not a bad voice, but just didn't stand out.

Here's how it breaks down. Antonella should be toast.

Lakisha, Melinda, Jordin, Sabrina and Stephanie are all in the Top 12 for me. Only one spot left and at this point I'd give it to Gina. I have a soft spot for her and she does have a powerful voice. Let her be on the Tour.

I guess we'll know one way or another tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home