Dr. Hottie's Reality Checkup

Welcome to my world. Expect very real opinions (laden with sarcastic and off color humor) about the great invention that is reality television. This blog may occasionally stray off topic, but its for the best really.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

It's Reigning Men

First of all, I didn't think the guys were as bad either week as the judges made them out to be. Especially since a couple of them are downright brilliant. I really cut people some slack the very first week too because you really haven't had that test run to learn from. That's why I can be vicious to the Top 12 because they should know better.

Lets get down to the reviews. This is going to include both performances. I slacked off.

AJ TABALDO - You know, not that AJ is a bad singer, but I felt the same about both of his performances. Meh. First week he sang 'Never Too Much' and followed it up the second week with 'Feelin Good'. I don't know what it is. He just doesn't connect for me. Good voice, lots of energy, but no connection. Like, he doesn't possess me to jump out of my chair and say I need to vote for AJ. It could go either way with him. He'll probably be back next week and if he is that performance could make or break him.

BLAKE LEWIS - Blake DOES make me want to jump out of my seat. The first week he came out with 'Somewhere Only We Know' which was a really subdued performance for him, but it was good. Then this week he busts out some Jamiroquai and brings down the house. How perfect to find something that beatboxing fits right in with. I like Blake because not only is he unique on the show, but he is unique period. I like him lots.

BRANDON ROGERS - Brandon, Brandon, Brandon. He's lost the vibe I really liked about him and he hasn't gotten it back yet. I never thought I'd say this, but he could potentially be in trouble this week. The first week he sang 'Rock With You' and I liked that better than this week. He has the kind of voice where he really has to pick a song that fits his voice and he is just having a heck of a time there.

CHRIS RICHARDSON - Despite the fact that he bounces more than Hooters girl I love Chris. I didn't like his song choice with Gavin DeGraw the first week. Bo Bice did it and it rocked. Elliott Yamin was the second to do it and although I love Elliott it just wasn't as good as Bo. So why go there a third time? However, his performance this week was great. He completely picked the right type of song for him. Chris will likely stay away from Timberlake songs like the plague but I think he should try it.

CHRIS SLIGH - Sligggggghhhhh!! My bias really shows through doesn't it? Sorry. He's awesome. And props to him getting a hot wife. I don't blame her. I could see what she sees in him. And he can sing too. I don't think we've seen the best we can see of Chris yet, but we will. Oh yes, we will.

JARED COTTER - I think Jared is trying to charm the ladies into voting for him. Between 'Back At One' and 'Lets Get It On' he's trying to be the secong coming of Nikko Smith. Jared can sing, but he will never be Nikko. Actually though, I'd be willing to say his performance of the Marvin Gaye classic was just as good as Nikko's was. Jared can go either way too. He's not out, but he's not in. Although he could be out tonight, but I doubt it.

NICK PEDRO - You know, there's things I like about Nick, but he does not scream Top 12. The first week he sang 'Now And Forever' and it really wasn't that great for me and then this week he goes with his old Sinatra-style stuff and it was better, but still not mind blowing. Again, he could be out tonight too. It's a possibility.

PHIL STACEY - Phil has surprised me. He did a great job with 'I Could Not Ask For More' the first week and then did an equally good job this week. I think its safe to say he's staying at least one more week. I actually like him now since I found out that when he missed the birth of his baby it was because his wife went into early labor. That's definitely forgivable. I don't think Phil can win, but he can easily make Top 12.

SANJAYA MALAKAR - Eek. I like Sanjaya. I really do. But as the judges have hinted on problems with his shyness in the past I think it has really gotten the best of him. He looks uncomfortable on stage. He's not pushing his vocals and that was very clear on 'Steppin Out'. It's not that he doesn't have a good voice. His stage presence is just sorely lacking and I'm not seeing the confidence. I think he's toast at this point, but you never know.

SUNDANCE HEAD - Sundance may have had the best comeback this week than any I've ever seen. In week one he wasn't all that bad, but I hated that song on him. 'Nights In White Satin' is not a Sundance joint. 'Mustang Sally' totally is. I hope that performance saved him because I really like the guy. After his initial audition many favored him to win, but then it just all fell apart. Now he's getting back to what he does best.

PAUL KIM - Come on. We all know the only person who can sing Careless Whisper is Ace and his falsetto. He does George Michael like no one else. I do think Paul is a good singer, but compared to many of the others he just wasn't there. I guess the barefoot thing wasn't lucky enough.

RUDY CARDENAS - Ya know I didn't peg Rudy to be out the first week. I know it made Paula very, very sad. And it also broke up the RuBlis trio. I couldn't come up with a better name sadly. Based on that performance I don't think Rudy deserved to go last week, but I didn't think he'd make Top 12. So why get his hopes up. I think he'd really talented though and should keep singing.

Okay. Here's how it breaks down.

I think the Chris's and Blake are a lock for Top 12.
I also think Phil and Sundance have a better than average chance of making it as well. That leaves one spot.
Sanjaya is toast. Nick is probably toast. That leaves Brandon, AJ and Jared. It's really a big toss up there. I think it all depends on who stays this week and how well they perform next week. Whoever brings down the house will move on. Obviously.

Tonight we'll know who still has a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home