Dr. Hottie's Reality Checkup

Welcome to my world. Expect very real opinions (laden with sarcastic and off color humor) about the great invention that is reality television. This blog may occasionally stray off topic, but its for the best really.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Love Is In The Air...

Welcome back to the sweet sixteen on So You Think You Can Dance. Well, I think all of them can dance. It's simply a matter of who is the best after all is said and done. I'll say up front that this week was all about the chemistry. There sure is some heatin' up going on. I watched Dancing With The Stars and overall the couples on there didn't click nearly as well although I had my suspicions for a long time that something was going on between Stacy and Tony. THEY didn't even have as much chemistry as some of these couples.

Anyhoo, it's opinioncap time.

Our first victims, er contestants, were Ben and Ashlee. Those poor things. They keep getting stuck with crappy dances/routines, but this time they picked out hip hop. Ashlee was very pleased but couldn't say so due to a cold. Ben really isn't very "street". This created a slight problem. I do think they have a great partnership though. Ashlee danced awesome. I don't think Ben was quite as bad as the judges made him. It was the best I've seen them perform honestly. Nothing more to say about that.

Next up were one of last week's bottom three couples, Ryan and Heidi. Heidi was quite thrilled to hear that they would be doing the rhumba. Well, it wasn't quite the kind of rhumba she thought it would be. Not only that, the dance required a lot of chemistry and heat. I know - Ryan can just pretend he's dancing with Natalie. Oh right. He's so over that. I was completely blown away. I knew Heidi had that in her, but I had no idea Ryan had that in him. Forget about not being able to connect with the audience or his partner. *fanning myself* I don't think that they're going to make another trip to the bottom 3 this week.

Ooooooh, then it was time for the new partners Dmitry and Aleksandra. I was very wary I tell you. I love the hell out of Dmitry and then there's Aleks who sometimes I wonder what the hell she's doing. Well, they pick the waltz out of the hat as Dmitry fans everywhere collectively groan 'oh God'. Heidi and him would have KILLED. So here we have the romance factor again. 'D' is amazing. Aleks is much improved I must say and do I sense something going on here? They were very touchy feely while they were getting critiqued by the judges. Especially for two people who have been partnered for a week. At any rate, I think they're both headed for the bottom 3 again where Dmitry will end up with yet another partner.

And now for one of my favorite girls and least favorite guys, Ivan and Allison. Time to Tango. I'll be honest I thought Ivan was a dead man. Ballroom was not his specialty in week one. I knew Allison would be spectacular, which she was. I agreed that she gave one of the best performances I have ever seen on a dance show. Ivan though, I don't know WHERE he pulled that one out of. He was fantastic. THEY were fantastic. Much chemistry there too. Not a bottom 3 duo here. Not this week anyways.

Then it was Benji and Donyelle time!!!!! I feel like a little kid everytime it's their turn to dance. This week they will be doing pop jazz. Hmmmm very interesting. God I love Benji. He is such a dork, but so adorable. He gets to play a DJ and Donyelle gets to play a diva. I knew they had a great partnership, but I didn't realize there was so much chemistry there. It was hot, hot, hot. Remember this is not Benji's style and he is not a suave manly man but he pulls it off. From the crowd's and judges reactions you know they're the couple to beat.

The heat stayed up because Musa and Natalie were next. Last week they were great with contemporary. This week they did the quickstep. I was a little worried. I have witnessed Master P doing the quickstep. This was bound to have a bad turnout. I really do think Musa did a respectable job. The important thing is that unlike Aleksandra, Musa got into character and fulfilled the emotional part of the dance. The footwork.. eh. I give him a lot of credit. I enjoyed the performance a lot. And loved the music.

Dancing next was "JessiJaymz". I love that nickname now. They chose contemporary. Hopefully the could infuze the fire into it that Musa and Natalie did the previous week. Here was another love story. She wanted him but he wouldn't let her in and then he finally did. How sweet. But would it be sweet on the dance floor? They hit a home run with this one. I love how they started at the top of the stairs. Really, I generally dislike contemporary and I loved everything about this routine. They're quickly turning into contenders.

Finally, closing out the show were Travis and Martha. Do they get pimp spots or what? AND they get to do hip hop which is generally a fan favorite. I had really high hopes for this performance. They hadn't disappointed before. Honestly though, they left me wanting a little more tonight. It was great. It just didn't have that extra spark. Believe it or not I think those two are a little weak in the chemistry department compared to some of the other couples. Don't get me wrong, I love Travis and Martha, but I think Travis' comment that hip hop is not his style was a big excuse. Trav, buddy, Benji is a swing dancer and he worked the shit out of his hip hop routine the first week. Deal with it.

I think the bottom 3 should and probably will be Dmitry and Aleks, Ben and Ashlee & Musa and Natalie. Although Travis and Martha could get shocked too. The other four couples however do not deserve to be there whatsoever and shouldn't be. But hey, LaToya London got voted off Idol before Jasmine Trias so stranger things have happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home