Dr. Hottie's Reality Checkup

Welcome to my world. Expect very real opinions (laden with sarcastic and off color humor) about the great invention that is reality television. This blog may occasionally stray off topic, but its for the best really.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

So I Think I Can Blog...

Well, American Idol left me for the summer so I had to find a new vice. What better show to watch than another of Nigel Lythgoe's own - So You Think You Can Dance. I can tell you right now I am not ecstatic over the way things are done on the show. Twenty people get paired up into 10 teams of two - not by their choosing. I don't like this mainly because if one person screws up, it screws over the whole team. This isn't like Dancing With The Stars where we're only judging the celebrities. EVERYONE gets judged.

Of course, I can also see why they WOULD do this because two people dancing is more exciting than one. I just wonder if it should have been a pairs only competition from the beginning. Anywhoo... on with the review.

First let me get off my chest that Cat Deeley is the worst host of anything. I don't like her. I object to her existence on TV. Okay. I'm done there.

Team #1 was Benji and Donyelle. Let me just say I love, love, love, love, LOVE them. They are only one of three teams that make me want to continue watching this show. Hip hop is my favorite style of dance so perhaps I'm a little biased, but those two are freaking awesome. It's hilarious to see a church boy shaking his ass. Hilarious. LOVE them.

Team #2 was Ivan and Allison. I do think Ivan is pretty likeable, but he looked so uncomfortable. It was like watching Master P all over again. Okay. Not QUITE that bad. Allison was very good though, but I haven't connected with her personality yet. She's cute and young and talented, but I think I need to see more personality.

Team #3 was Jason and Aleksandra. Interesting pairing. I thought it was pretty funny that not only did they perform to "Unwritten" which Ayla Brown from Idol sang the week she was voted off, but Aleksandra had her hair done so similarly to Ayla's for that performance. It was an odd coincidence. The performance was really good and Jason is excellent at that style of dance. I'd love to see them do hip hop.

Team #4 was Jaymz and Jessica. I really enjoy them as a pair and I thought the dancing was fine. Jaymz is really hot by the way. Just in case no one noticed.

Team #5 was Stanislav and Erin. Turns out one of my favorite guys is paired with one of my least favorite girls. Stanislav did the best Paso Doble I have seen ANYWHERE while Erin looked slightly awkward. They'll probably be in the bottom 3 couples, but Stanislav isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Team #6 was Dmitri and Joy. I think Nigel was a little hard on them. I really enjoyed it although it DID pale in comparison to Benji and Donyelle. It was still a good performance. Personally, I just disliked some of the choreography which wasn't the dancers' fault.

Team #7 was Ryan and Heidi. Vienniese waltz. NOT my favorite. The beauty part was that Ryan and Heidi made me enjoy it. They seem like an odd couple to me, but it worked. I'd like to see them do something more upbeat though.

Team #8 was Ben and Ashlee. Okay, again, I LOVE Ben and Ashlee. Unfortunately, they fell victim to cheesy choreography. Nigel - THEY weren't juvenile. The routine was juvenile. I adore Flashdance and I have never seen anyone be able to copy it and pull it off. I do believe they will be in the bottom 3, but I think that both will stay.

Team #9 was Travis and Martha. I absolutely adore Travis and Martha. More Travis. (God if I were 18 again) But they are both excellent. I never would have thought that pairing would have worked as well as it did, but I guess the producers know something I don't. I wouldn't call them the team to beat as Benji and Donyelle are going to give them a run for their money, but they are certainly in the upper echelons of dancing.

Last, but definitely not least Team #10 was Musa and Natalie. Let's call them the poster boy and girl. They're both smokin' and so was the routine. Now I can see why Ryan so desperately wanted her as his partner. The night ended on a good note and I look forward to seeing what else these two can do.

I think the best three teams were Benji&Donyelle, Travis&Martha and Musa&Natalie. The bottom 3 for me were Ivan & Allison, Stanislav & Erin (only because of Erin) and Ben & Ashlee. I have no idea who will go home. At all.

There's my two cents.

2 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

I just can't be bothered to watch SYTYCD. It just doesn't interest me the way AI does.

Now Rockstar... yes. I plan on being there for that one.

4:08 AM  
Blogger PezKat said...

Hi! Just found you but will definitely return if you keep up the SYTYCD stuff - like you said, I needed something to latch onto now that Idol is over! And seems we agree on most of the dancers too (and on not "getting" a lot of other women!). Anyway I'm completely hooked on STYTCD though I didn't watch it much last year. I just adore both Travis & Benji.

And hi jd!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home