Dr. Hottie's Reality Checkup

Welcome to my world. Expect very real opinions (laden with sarcastic and off color humor) about the great invention that is reality television. This blog may occasionally stray off topic, but its for the best really.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Dirty Dancing: Idol Nights

Where's Brenna when you need her? Let's dance.. the last dance... Oh, right. This is Fox's SINGING competition. With all of Taylor's hip shaking and Katherine's crawling around on the floor like an extra from Showgirls I got confused for a second. That is why it was so apro po of me to use Dirth Dancing as my final movie parody of the Idol season.

May I present the reviews...

Here she is... Miss Amer- I keep forgetting this isn't a pageant. Shoot. So Katharine was up first because she lost the coin toss. The pimp spot is obviously much coveted. The first song she chose to do was Black Horse and the Cherry Tree. Okay. That was really cool the first time, but not so sure lightning strikes the cherry tree twice Baby. So naive. It wasn't horrific, but that was like getting the 'Rachel haircut' after Friends ended. Revolutionary the first time. Not as much the second time. Daddy liked it, but he would approve if Baby started nuclear warfare. So we can't go by that. The judges don't think it was quite good enough. (Just an FYI I really don't mean to disrespect Kat because I actually do like her, but I harbor strong bitterness because of Chris. It's sad really.)

Let's see what they think of the charismatic Jonny Castle. He has chosen to go with Living For The City. He's a maaaaaniac.. maaaaniac.. on the floor. And he's dancin' like he's never danced before. I'm waiting for Taylor to grab a chair and pull a string releasing buckets of water. Right. Wrong movie. It fit though. Yes, yes Taylor does not have the chops of Celine Dion, but we can't compare him to Miss Dion. Mr. Hicks is unlike anything we have ever witnessed on Idol (could be good or bad depending on if you're a fan). Round One: Jonny.

It's Baby's turn again. She is singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow. It brings tears to Daddy's eyes. My personal opinion was that it wasn't QUITE as good as the first time. The lustre wears off on such things especially since she sang it JUST LAST WEEK. And I swear to God I cringed on her pronunciation of "heard". Was that necessary? NO. Is it necessary for me to strip down to my underwear and dance wildly to "Pour Some Sugar On Me" when I'm home alone? No, but dang it I enjoy it. So if its okay for me I guess its okay for Kat too. Except she does the Def Leppard thing in public. KIDDING. I'm evil for making jokes at other people's expense. Daddy McPhee says, "Simon nobody puts Katharine in a corner!!"

Round 2 for Taylor. He went with Levon which I had felt was one of his Top 3 performances on the show. It honestly didn't go as well the second time. He got more into it towards the end there, but it didn't come off with quite as much passion. Still good though. Unfortunately this Round goes to Baby.

Speaking of which, it is time for her final performance -- her first single. Will she be able to leap above Jonny or will she fall flat on her face? This is the big one. Okay. First of all. Crappy, crappy song. I have written better songs than this in 15 minutes time. It was also a song that would make people who are bitter about her being in the finale instead of Chris despise her even more. "Oh its my destiny that I am here instead of that bald haired guy that screams all the tiiiiiiiime..." PLEASE spare me. She was flat most of the song and given the fact that the song was horrible it didn't help her case. This does not spell good news for Baby.

Time for Jonny to make his last big push. He also gets stuck with a bad song, though not quite as bad as Kat's. I was truly worried at first. He started off a little shaky, but once he got into it, he worked it out. Its not easy singing a bad song. I've sung along with the likes of Rico Suave and The Right Stuff. I still get nightmares. But as Simon said -- Taylor solidified the win with that one. I would be outright astonished if he didn't win.

It surely was an interesting season, one with a lot of talent, but few outstanding performances outside of Taylor, Elliott and Chris. And even THEY underachieved.

I will continue writing in my blog even though Idol is over. But I do thank those of you who checked it out. Until then, keep it classy San Diego. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

You BETTER keep blogging, otherwise how will I tell you about the reality TV convention?

I think the "Rachel haircut" comment is dead accurate. This second-time around crap doesn't work for me. Especially in the final of the competition. I'm all about you showing me something new (and not those crappy songs that they'll be releasing as singles.)

It's okay to be upset with Kat. The way she's acted hasn't been likable. And as for her parents? I'd just love to grab Peisha by her arm, swing her around and around Superman-style and then hurl her directly into the sun. I'd kick McDad in the balls, if he had a pair that weren't in Peisha's purse.

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home